Our History

WE ARE OBSESSED WITH PRECISION.

W.S. Tyler is a leader in fields ranging from particle analysis, industrial woven wire, and filtration to architectural mesh. We are more than producers; we are our customers’ partner at every step of their journey. The way we treat our customers is a direct reflection of how we treat our team. We believe customer service is a mindset, not a department. At W.S. Tyler, you’re not just a customer - you’re family. We aren’t just leaders in manufacturing highly specialized types of wire mesh, but we are at the forefront of designing and engineering that mesh to meet the ever-evolving needs of our customers. The W.S. Tyler group creates new technologies to assist our customers while working to grow our own business. 

In partnership with our German parent company, HAVER & BOECKER, we continue to find new ways to spur that growth. We believe in a relentless focus on innovation while remaining true to our roots. The heritage of the Tyler name is important to us, and everything we do is built on honoring who we’ve always been.

But it’s not just the quality of our products and services that matter, our customers appreciate our down-to-earth approach and the determination we show in every interaction. We are growing and evolving every day for our customers and ourselves. We know that the smallest details often make the biggest difference for our customers. It is why we’re so meticulous in everything we do. At W.S. Tyler there is no problem too large, no particle too small and no horizon too distant.


The Beginning

There were just 11 names on the first W.S. Tyler payroll in 1872. Started by Washington S. Tyler, the company first went by the name of Cleveland Wire Works. The small plant measured just 40 x 75 feet adjoining the Cleveland Pittsburgh Railroad, now part of the Pennsylvania railroad.

 

Mr. Tyler was an earnest and determined man. His great conception was this: “Our product was not an end in itself, but was a means by which the customer could accomplish something useful and profitable.” This idea would become the foundation for the next 140 years and counting.


A World Standard

In 1910 Tyler introduced a scientifically designed testing sieve series known as the Tyler Standard Scale Sieve Series. This was the foundation for the development of ASTM E-11 used in particle analysis today and would become a staple of W.S. Tyler’s reputation.

The principle of this sieve series became so essential, that it was adopted as a national standard by the United States and many foreign countries. Certain sieves were proposed as the basis for an international sieve standard.

To meet the need for faster, more reliable means of testing, Tyler developed the Ro-Tap Sieve Shaker in 1914. The Ro-Tap provided a means for exact duplicating test results between different laboratories. The original W.S. Tyler Ro-Tap is the industry standard for consistent, repeatable particle size testing.


Around the World

In the early 1900’s W.S. Tyler expanded its markets across the globe where materials were mined or screened – the tin mines in the Far East, the diamond mines in Africa, the flour mills in China, the coffee hulling plants in Brazil are just a few examples.

In 1958, Tylinter (W.S. Tyler International) was founded which was a joint venture between W.S. Tyler, Cleveland, Ohio, U.S.A. and Haver & Boecker, Oelde, Germany. This launched the company into a true two-way international trade


Expansion and Growth

In 1990, The Particle Analysis & Fine Screening Division was introduced as an independent profit center of W.S. Tyler. Shortly after, in 1994, this product group formed a partnership with Haver & Boecker, a world leader in production of woven wire cloth, test sieves and screens. With this growth came the move of the company back to its roots in Mentor, Ohio where the company remains today.

In 1998 Haver & Boecker fully acquired W.S. Tyler. Around this time, a fifth product group was added to W.S. Tyler; Tyler Architectural Mesh. In collaboration with Haver & Boecker, the architectural mesh department continues to offer limitless possibilities for interior and exterior applications today.