Test Sieve Analysis & Calibration
W.S. Tyler offers premium test sieve analysis and calibration services to ensure the performance of test sieves for quality control programs. Our services are applicable for both new and in-use test sieves.
The Primary Standards that govern Test Sieves are ASTM E 11-13 and ISO 3310-1. Both W.S. Tyler and its parent organization, Haver & Boecker, Germany, are very active on the committees that write and oversee the Standards. By contributing our many years of expertise to the various committees, the marketplace can rely on the Standards to be valuable and practical to the product users.
National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Traceability
All of W.S. Tyler’s Laboratory Services offer some degree of traceability directly to National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) W.S. Tyler’s laboratory examinations are performed with an automatic, non-contact, dimensional measurement system with an accuracy of +/- one-tenth of a micron. W.S. Tyler, on average, performs 10,000 examinations per year in our on-site working laboratories.
Laboratory Products Certification
Certified Test Sieve Analysis: ASTM Equivalent – Inspection Grade
Test Sieves are analyzed to meet ASTM and ISO Standards, serialized, and supplied with NIST Traceable Histograms.
Certified–PLUS Test Sieve: ASTM Equivalent – Calibration Grade
Test Sieves are examined to meet ASTM and ISO Standards, serialized, and supplied with NIST Traceable Histograms Certified-PLUS, per the current ASTM Standard, offers a 99.73% level of confidence, resulting from measuring two times the amount of mesh openings of the Inspection Grade Sieve.
Test Sieve Recertification Schedule
We recommends a recertification scheduled for in-use Test Sieves.
|5 inches to .25 inch||80 uses or 36 months|
|US No.31/2 to US No.12||70 uses or 30 months|
|US No.14 to US No.40||60 uses or 24 months|
*Whichever comes last.
Traceable Certifications can also be performed on specialty sieves,screening media, and ASTM and ISO Standard woven wire cloth.
Care and Cleaning of Test Sieves
A Test Sieve is a precision scientic instrument.
- Care should be taken when handling a Sieve to avoid damage to the frame and the sometimes delicate, sensitive Test Sieve mesh.
- Test Sieves should be cleaned after each use.
- Test Sieves should be stored in a clean, dry, controlled environment. Test Sieves should be inspected regularly for mesh damage.
For proper cleaning a soft bristle brush should be used.
- Turn the Sieve over, place over a receiving pan and gently brush the underside of the mesh using a circular motion NOT applying excessive pressure.
- Gently tap the Sieve frame with the brush handle to remove any particles that may cling to the frame.
Sieves may be washed in a warm water, synthetic detergent solution.
- The Sieve must be dried before the next use.
- An oven may be used in the drying process, temperatures not to exceed 190 degrees F.
- An ultrasonic bath may also be used to clean Test Sieves, (review cleaning unit instructions prior to use).